The purpose of this paper is to:
· Inform the development of a framework to evaluate Grid Modernization investments that are primarily aimed at increasing DER penetration, integration, and value maximization;
· Classify grid modernization needs, and the types of investments that can meet these needs;
· Propose a process for authorizing DER-related Grid Modernization investments;
· Discuss the options for integrating a Grid Modernization investment framework into the annual distribution planning cycle and the related General Rate Cases (GRCs); and
· Solicit party feedback to inform the DER-related Grid Modernization Guidance decision.
There will be a June 5 workshop to discuss the White Paper, and opening and reply comments are due June 19 and June 28.